Most worn this fall, 2017
I know I’m not alone when I say that fall clothes are my favorite. I love playing with textures, and more layers gives more opportunity to do so. I’m really not a fan of summer color palettes, since I look terrible in whites and pastels, so switching to jewel tones and dark colors makes me downright giddy.
Throughout my mid-to-late (shudder) twenties, I’ve been working really hard to curb the fast fashion habit I developed in college. Instead, I’ve been trying more and more to add high-quality staples to my closet. I think it’s safe to say that it’s working. Of the dozen wardrobe pieces I’ve worn the most this fall, only five are pieces I’ve bought this season. The rest are well-loved items I’ve worn dozens — if not hundreds — of times over the past few years.
In fact, some of the items below are in last fall’s list, and even my list from 2015 — both of which feature items that I still continuously wear, even though they aren’t included on this year’s list.
So, without further ado, here are the wardrobe pieces my friends and coworkers have got to be sick of seeing me wear at this point.
(Pst! Affiliate links below!)
- Barbour jacket. This has been my No. 1 fall wardrobe item for several years running, and I can’t imagine that will change any time soon.
- Brown leather gloves. I never realized I needed a pair of brown leather gloves until I saw this photo on Pinterest. I received a pair for Christmas last year (thanks Mando!) and now these cashmere-lined beauties live in the bottom of my tote. They look great with my Barbour jacket and my Burberry trench, and have quickly become a fall staple.
- Corduroy pants. Once we transition away from skirt weather, it really doesn’t take me long to get sick of dark skinny jeans. These corduroy pants are my favorite way to switch it up. (If you get this pair: size up at least one size!)
- Barbour vest. This was a birthday gift from Mando, and while he meant for it to permanently zip inside my Barbour, I’ve actually been wearing it on its own — layered over button-ups and sweaters — since it’s pretty cute!
- Oxford shoes. I was a little on the fence about these shoes at first since they’re so shiny (I got them in the black colorway), but I’m glad I decided to get them! I wear them way more than I thought I would.
- Riding boots. I’ve had this pair of Cole Haan leather boots for years and years. I’ve had them re-finished and resoled so many times now, but they’re definitely an investment that has paid off.
- Oxford shirt. I love the stretchy knit oxfords because they look just as polished as ordinary button-down shirts, but are secretly incredibly comfy!
- Brown leather bag. My Madewell Transport Tote is pretty much a staple season after season.
- Flannel dress. This adorable KJP dress was the biggest impulse buy I’ve made in quite some time, but I do not regret it one bit. It’s so cozy and cute and I am planning on living in it this fall and winter.
- Gray pull-over. I have a handful of Patagonia fleeces, and I practically live in them come fall and winter. I’ve been wearing this one more than the rest this season — with shorts, jeans, leggings and pajama pants.
- Cable knit cardigan (sold out, similar). I snagged (not literally) this super thick chunky knit cardigan during a Black Friday sale last year, and I’m so glad I picked it up. I wear it almost weekly to work or on the weekends.
- Portofino blouses. I own a ton of these Express blouses. They’re great for wearing under sweaters, vests or alone and tucked into dress pants.
Shop the post: